Nutrition is one of the pillars of our health and nutritional deficiencies contribute to many health-related difficulties. Some people struggle with known or unknown intolerances to gluten and lactose or sensitivities to processed foods, preservatives, hormones and chemicals of any sort. In addition to addressing these particular challenges, The Center for Human Holistics™ believes deeply in the importance of good nutrition in overall health and wellbeing. A regular part of our consultations focuses on nutrition education, including guidance with special diets such as the Mediterranean, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, macrobiotic and gluten-free. Dr. Lowenstein has actively studied nutrition since 1974.
“The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.“
Dr. Lowenstein will be happy to review some of your favorite recipes and help adapt them to a healthier version that he guarantees to be as tasty, or even better.
- Access free brochures, tips sheets and other resources to help you and your family achieve a healthy lifestyle from The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. Search for any nutrition topic or find a registered dietitian in your area.
- A blog created by cardiologist Dr. William Davis who advocates that pre-diabetic and diabetic patients to remove all wheat products from their diets. He wrote a book called Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health.
- Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is a board-certified family physician, and nutritional researcher, who specializes in preventing and reversing disease through nutritional and natural methods.
- The Nutrition in Children and Adolescents Knowledge Path directs readers to a selection of current, high-quality resources that present evidence-based nutrition guidance, describe public health campaigns and other promotion programs, inform policy and legislation, and report on research aimed at identifying promising strategies for improving nutrition and eating behaviors.
- Quick reference notes for Gary Taubes’ book “Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health.
- Food and Behavior Research’s website has information about a wide variety of conditions where behavior, learning, and mood are linked with food and nutrition. You can browse by condition to find the latest research on that topic.
- The Nutrition and Metabolism Society is a nonprofit health organization providing research, information, and education in the application of fundamental science to nutrition. The Society is particularly dedicated to the incorporation of biochemical metabolism to problems of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- The T. Colin Campbell foundation’s mission is to provide public education about the health benefits of a whole food, plant-based diet. Created by the author of the infamous ‘China Study’, this website provides educational articles, courses, recipes and books advocating a whole food, plant-based diet.
- Links to resources to provide you with information to find a local CSA, U-Pick or Farmers Markets brought to you by Oregon Tilth.
- Edible Portland is a magazine and website with a goal of being a resource that makes eating, growing, and enjoying our local abundance an everyday pleasure. Edible Portland serves the greater Portland metropolitan area including Hood River and the Willamette Valley. Find a wealth of recipes on their website for local, seasonal foods.
- The Portland Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition consists of a group of CSA farmers promoting the core concepts of CSA, and helping Portlanders understand the benefits of joining a CSA farm.
- Michael Pollan’s ‘Rules to Eat By’ promote a whole foods plant-based diet. Author of Omnivores Dilemma, In Defense of Food, and Food Rules.
- A blog by Marion Nestle, Paulette Goddard Professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health and Professor of Sociology at New York University. Author of Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health.