Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes Type 2
While many of these conditions develop slowly from childhood, they can also be turned around and managed very successfully. A balanced approach to diet and nutrition (see nutrition section), exercise, and stress reduction plays a critical role in restoring health, as well as promoting overall vitality and wellbeing. Dr. Lowenstein uses his unique training in both integrative holistic medicine and psychiatry to apply the medical model while also offering psychological support to help patients integrate these benefits.
“The great advances of genetics and biomedical discoveries could be more than offset by the burden of illness, disability and death caused by too many people eating too much and moving too little over their lifetime.“
~2005 Institute of Medicine report
- The US National Library of Medicine’s description of Metabolic Syndrome; includes causes, symptoms, and treatments.
- Overview of Metabolic Syndrome by the National Heart Blood and Lung Institute.
- The Gaples Institute for Balanced Medicine. Established by Stephen Devries, MD, to provide leadership in the field of integrative cardiology through advocacy and education.
- A detailed description of high blood cholesterol levels including causes, risk factors, and treatments.
- Learn about secondary causes of dyslipidemia.
- An overview of dyslipidemia as well as patient resources from the Hormone Health Network.
- Medicine Net provides a detailed description of Metabolic Syndrome.
- Learn about the Mediterranean Diet and its’ ability to cut the risk for Metabolic Syndrome.