Symptoms of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) begin early in life when difficulties with communication and interaction with others become apparent. The Center for Human Holistics™ uses a number of different healing modalities to help both children and adults develop enhanced communication skills, greater self-awareness and emotional management tools that can have a profound effect on the overall quality of life for both patients and their families – children, parents or spouses. We pay particular attention to the patient’s developmental stage in order to customize treatment appropriately, and we emphasize the importance of education and support for family members so that they can better understand and relate to the challenges of their loved one’s condition.
“Think of it: A disability is usually defined in terms of what is missing, but autism… is as much about what is abundant as what is missing, an over-expression of the very traits that make our species unique.“
~Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism
- Autism Speaks is the nation’s largest autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.
- The Autism Society, the nation’s leading grassroots autism organization, exists to improve the lives of all affected by autism.
- The National Institute of Mental Health’s resource page for autism spectrum disorders.
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention provides a comprehensive site for Autism Spectrum Disorder facts, resources, education and updated guidelines.
- Medicine Net provides a detailed description of Autism.
- A resource page for Asperger’s Syndrome.
- The Online Asperger Syndrome Information and Support (OASIS) center provides resources for families, individuals, and medical professionals who deal with the challenges of Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder.
- Portland Aspergers Network is a parent support organization in Portland, Oregon. We assist families and people living with Asperger’s Syndrome, High Functioning Autism (HFA), PDD-NOS and an umbrella of high-functioning autism spectrum disorders.